Hi, my name is Christopher Feran.
I’m a coffee industry consultant, green buyer, roaster and lapsed Q-grader with years of experience helping startups and established companies in the Midwest, California and New York City as well as exporters and coffee growers in producing countries like Guatemala, Colombia and Ethiopia.
I enjoy planning and building cafes, coffee programs, roasteries and spreadsheets.
Most of all, I enjoy coffee.
Need something? Just ask.
You might be looking for some of the greatest hits from my blog:
- Like my “sort-of glossary” to coffee processes;
- Like when I talked about how and why Kenyan coffee has apparently declined in quality over the years (or the same, but for Ethiopia);
- Or published the “koji processing” protocol I devised;
- Or how I responded to Saša Šestić and his claims about “infused” coffees;
- Or maybe you’re just here to learn my theory about how to roast on an air or hybrid roaster;
- Or those times I wrote about rehydrating green coffee to improve its quality (1, 2, 3);
- Or when I talked about how I use ultraviolet light as part of my routine physical analysis of green coffee.
All of my blog posts:
- Aviary: A roastery for the 21st century
- March Forward, Dear Mother Ethiopia
- The one about soda rehydration
- A sort-of glossary of coffee processes
- Kenya: A brief follow-up
- Kenya and “the decline of the world’s greatest coffee”
- Coffee, Koji and Kaapo’s WBC Routine (or: the Koji Supernatural Process)
- What’s the problem with infused coffees?
- On coffee and justice
- Trains, Teslas and Coffee Roasting
- The Green Coffee Rehydration Protocol
- Missing the forest for a tree
- Sourdough > sour coffee
- Quarantine cooking
- Coffee roasting in the time of Corona
- The COVID-19 post.
- Under the blacklight (“The UV light post”)
- How to rehydrate coffee
- So a coffee walks into a sauna
- Green coffee, fade, and cannibals at dinner
- Credit where credit is due (or: Who to blame for this)