Hi, my name is Christopher Feran.
I’m a coffee industry consultant, green buyer, roaster and lapsed Q-grader with years of experience helping startups and established companies in the Midwest, California and New York City as well as exporters and coffee growers in producing countries like Guatemala, Colombia and Ethiopia.
I enjoy planning and building cafes, coffee programs, roasteries and spreadsheets.
Most of all, I enjoy coffee.
Need something? Just ask.
You might be looking for some of the greatest hits from my blog:
- Like when I talked about how and why Kenyan coffee has apparently declined in quality over the years
- Or when I critiqued the approach of World Coffee Research and other organizations that rely on technological fixes to address the threat of climate change to coffee production—and professed my love for Castillo and other hybrids
- Or how I cultured microbes from green coffee to see what’s there and how they impact shelf life
- Or how I responded to Saša Šestić and his claims about “infused coffees” before WBC 2021
- Or maybe you’re just here to learn my theory about how to roast on an air or hybrid roaster
- Or those times I wrote about rehydrating green coffee to improve its quality (1, 2, 3)
- Or when I talked about how I use ultraviolet light as part of my routine physical analysis of green coffee
All of my blog posts:
- Kenya and “the decline of the world’s greatest coffee”
- Coffee, Koji and Kaapo’s WBC Routine (or: the Koji Supernatural Process)
- What’s the problem with infused coffees?
- On coffee and justice
- Trains, Teslas and Coffee Roasting
- The Green Coffee Rehydration Protocol
- Missing the forest for a tree
- Sourdough > sour coffee
- Quarantine cooking
- Coffee roasting in the time of Corona
- The COVID-19 post.
- Under the blacklight (“The UV light post”)
- How to rehydrate coffee
- So a coffee walks into a sauna
- Green coffee, fade, and cannibals at dinner
- Credit where credit is due (or: Who to blame for this)