Hi, my name is Christopher Feran.
I’m a coffee industry consultant, green buyer, roaster and lapsed Q-grader with years of experience helping startups and established companies in the Midwest, California and New York City as well as exporters and coffee growers in producing countries like Guatemala, Colombia and Ethiopia.
I enjoy planning and building cafes, coffee programs, roasteries and spreadsheets.
Most of all, I enjoy coffee.
Need something? Just ask.
You might be looking for some of the greatest hits from my blog:
- Like those times I wrote about rehydrating green coffee to improve its quality (1, 2, 3)
- Or when I talked about how I use ultraviolet light as part of my routine physical analysis of green coffee
- Or how I critiqued the approach of WCR and other organizations that rely on technological fixes for the problem of climate change—and professed my love for Castillo and other hybrids
- Or how I cultured microbes from green coffee to see what’s there and how they impact shelf life
- Or how I responded to Saša Šestić and his claims about “infused coffees” ahead of WBC
- Or maybe you’re just here to learn my theory about how to roast on an air or hybrid roaster
Latest on the blog:
- Coffee, Koji and Kaapo’s WBC Routine (or: the Koji Supernatural Process)
- What’s the problem with infused coffees?
- On coffee and justice
- Trains, Teslas and Coffee Roasting
- The Green Coffee Rehydration Protocol
- Missing the forest for a tree
- Sourdough > sour coffee
- Quarantine cooking
- Coffee roasting in the time of Corona
- The COVID-19 post.
- Under the blacklight (“The UV light post”)
- How to rehydrate coffee
- So a coffee walks into a sauna
- Green coffee, fade, and cannibals at dinner
- Credit where credit is due (or: Who to blame for this)